The free-standing brick structure immediately to the right of that section is a cotton warehouse.Directly on the other side of it runs the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway, and above that is the river road (now East Main Street) winding towards Ramseur.The plan of the building is that of a block-E, where the center cross is the stair tower and the top and bottom lines are wings that extend over the head race on brick arches.The Wheel House is that of the original Island Ford factory, located under the smokestack to the far left.Coleridge was the home of the Enterprise Manufacturing Company, the southern most cotton mill built on Deep River. Moffitt, an Asheboro merchant, and Daniel Lambert and James A. The original structure was a two-and-one-half story wooden building housing 800 spindles and 26 workers. Caveness is at the head of practically everything in Coleridge,” and it was under his influence that the brick mill facilities were built.Its construction in 1882 was the final link in the chain of Randolph County’s water-powered textile industries which had begun to be forged in 1836. The facilities of the corporation included a wool-carding mill, saw mill, and flour mill. The factory (built in the 1920’s) is of utilitarian design with Tudor Revival entrance towers.Tags: Island Ford, Randolph Manufacturing, southern textile history, Victorian mill architecture Posted in Deep River, Franklinville, Industrial History, mill villages, Randolph County, Textile History | 3 Comments » of the Randolph Manufacturing Company, built in 1895 on the site of the wooden 1846 Island Ford Manufacturing Company.The photo is obviously taken on a cold winter day, probably circa-1900, but nothing much would change from the viewpoint of this picture before 1925.
During the Civil War he became the superintendent of the factory, and after the war he gradually acquired a controlling interest in both factories, and ran them until his death in 1910. To confuse matters, “Randolph Manufacturing Company” was the original 1838 name of the Upper Mill company that took the name “Franklinsville Manufacturing Company” when it was rebuilt after the 1851 fire.The 10 windows of that section are a different size than the tall 1895 windows of the expanded mill, and the C-shaped plan of the 1895 structure is added on just to the west end of the Island Ford foundation.The archway just under the plume of steam is where the tail race water exits from the turbine wheel; originally one or more wooden or iron water wheels would have been located in the wheel house there.The Concord Methodist Church was built in Coleridge in 1887.